Do you want to make a difference when it comes to building iconic structures? Are you looking to put your strong, aviation design skills to use building aviation and airport structures across the country? Austin Commercial is currently seeking an Aviation Design Managers for projects in the Los Angeles, CA area. We excel at what we do and are looking for talented construction professionals that want to excel with us.
This position will manage the design process throughout the design and construction administration phases in compliance with the principals and processes established by the DBIA (Design Build Institute of America). Working in harmony with the construction team (preconstruction, estimating, procurements, safety, quality control, BIM, project engineering, and field supervision) they will manage the design process to ensure the design and deliverables meet the Owner’s objectives, and satisfy the Design/Builder’s overall schedule and construction budget, within the contractual obligations of the agreement between the Owner and Design/Builder. Also manages the design services delivery to be executed within the constraints of code, public safety/welfare and to a high standard of care.
Must be capable of holding the overall project team accountable for compliance with Austin’s internal policies and procedures for design delivery, Owner’s contracted criteria; and be competent in discerning design concepts, contracts, alternative technical concepts, and risk management. Operationally reports to the on-site Program Director, and functionally reports to the Director of Design Management.
· Responsible for day-to-day management and accountability of the design services / design firms. Manage the design budget as contracted along with any required change orders
· Key participant in value engineering efforts and resultant means and methods discussions. Oversee delivery of the 30/60/90/CD deliverable packages ensuring each meets the intent of the design releases per the project agreement and DBIA standards. Objective is minimizing RFI’s, ASI’s and Field Change Orders.
· Facilitate designer presentations to the build team and reviews of design development.
· Facilitate designer presentations to Owner and confirm protocol for meeting decision and action recording
· Monitor and drive timely responses from Team to Owner design review comments
· Provide detailed completeness reviews during design, entitlement, and construction phases.
· Manage the document quality to ensure constructability as budgeted and scheduled.
· Ensure construction staff is involved in meaningful and timely constructability / design reviews. Review and coordinate responses to constructability issues lists from document reviews by Build team.
· Work closely with the team in development of the work packaging strategy and procurement as it relates to the design effort.
· Manage the designers overall schedule and individual package document releases. Understands the project schedule and phasing to ensure design packages are meeting phasing objectives. Manages the design to the project budget. Tracks, trends and reports on regular basis. Utilizes Target Value Design.
· Support PM’s & PE’s to evaluate the schedule and cost impacts due to scope change or incompleteness. Assist with supporting information for Notifications to the Owner by Project leadership.
· Support PE’s & Field team (Superintendents) compliance review with all federal, state, and municipal laws, ordinances, and building codes related to construction.
· Attend entitlement meetings pertaining to City design review boards, discretionary & building permits and deferred approvals. Monitor/track progress.
· Report on a monthly basis: design progress, percent complete, schedule, budget, quality, and any issues requiring management attention.
· Participate in pull planning sessions. Participate in LEAN construction submittal & RFI reviews
· Document mock-up approvals
· Manage Builder deferred approval submittals
· Manage Third Party Reviews
· Support or act as LEED Project Administrator for construction credits
· Participate in Builder’s safety program
· Document construction problems/deficiencies encountered for future reference as “Lessons Learned”
We offer excellent benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance and a matching 401K plan and we are proud to be a 100% Employee Owned Company. To learn more about Employee-Ownership, please go to http://www.austin-ind.com/employee-ownership.html.
Austin Commercial is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Austin Commercial
This is an opportunity to join one of North America's most respected and fastest growing Commercial/Aviation construction firms. With regional operations and iconic projects across the United States, Austin Commercial has clearly established itself as a builder and employer of choice. From complex airports, healthcare facilities, educational institutions, research labs and sports facilities, and other emerging markets, brings ingenuity and a proven track record through construction manager at risk, bid-build, design-build, fast track, etc.