Do you want to make a difference when it comes to building iconic structures? Are you looking to put your strong, MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) skills to use while building hospitality, healthcare, aviation, high-rise, mixed-use and higher education structures? Austin Commercial is currently seeking an MEP Coordinator for a large aviation project in Salt Lake City, UT. We excel at what we do and are looking for talented construction professionals that want to excel with us.
The purpose of this job is to assist in the overall direction and control of the installation of all electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sheet metal, insulation, sprinkler systems, and life safety systems within Austin Commercial projects.
Functional Areas of Responsibility
* MEP trade coordination / space management / constructability studies
* Certificate of occupancy management
* Review of subcontractor submittals
* Compliance with building codes
* Relations with city inspectors
* Review of subcontractor proposed change pricing
* Kitchen, computer room, health final inspections
* Evaluates the complexity of the mechanical/electrical design and estimates both the construction costs and maintenance.
* Serves as a technical resource in meetings with owners and architects. Discusses the mechanical/electrical systems within the building in technical terms.
* Attends weekly meetings with owners, architects, and subcontractors. Outlines work to be performed by the mechanical and electrical subcontractors, phasing of work, problems encountered in scheduling, quality of work, etc.
* Ensures that the subcontractors submit all mechanical/electrical shop drawings in a timely manner and examines all shop drawings for completeness.
* Responsible for the complete coordination of MEP scope. Utilizes overlay system or CAD system to prevent potential space requirement problems.
* Mechanical and Plumbing – Checks all shop drawings for routing, dimensions of toilet rooms, etc. Checks all mechanical, plumbing and piping as it is being installed. Responsible for QA/QC of mechanical systems. Ensures that mechanical rough-ins are installed in a timely manner.
* Electrical – Checks shop drawings for rough-ins in slabs, main switchgear layout, riser diagrams, placement of emergency generator equipment, etc. Performs detailed inspections of work in progress to ensure quality of installation, timely installation of rough-ins and compliance of the system.
* Fire Sprinkler System – Establishes contact early with city fire department inspectors; inviting them to inspect work in progress. Reviews all shop drawings and ensures their adequacy and completeness to meet local codes. Coordinates tamper and flow switches with the fire alarm system. Inspects all work in progress for quality and completeness.
* Life Safety Systems – Inspects and coordinates the installation of all life safety systems, smoke evacuation systems, pressurized portions of the building, fire control centers, building and elevator distress communication systems, fire extinguishers, etc. Manages certificate of occupancy requirements for these systems.
* Reviews proposed changes to confirm they are accurate for cost and schedule impact. Resolves any technical problems encountered with the architect.
* Reviews all pay requests from subcontractors and ensures that they are proper and timely. Resolves any problems encountered in payments to subcontractors.
* Acts as a liaison between owners, architects, general contractors and all associated disciplines.
* Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
* 3+ years’ of comparable MEP experience is required with a GC or mechanical contractor.
* Mechanical expertise is required for this role.
We offer excellent benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance and a matching 401K plan and we are proud to be a 100% Employee Owned Company. To learn more about Employee-Ownership, please go to http://www.austin-ind.com/commercial/about/employee-ownership/.
Austin Commercial is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Austin Commercial
This is an opportunity to join one of North America's most respected and fastest growing Commercial/Aviation construction firms. With regional operations and iconic projects across the United States, Austin Commercial has clearly established itself as a builder and employer of choice. From complex airports, healthcare facilities, educational institutions, research labs and sports facilities, and other emerging markets, brings ingenuity and a proven track record through construction manager at risk, bid-build, design-build, fast track, etc.